ADSM-L

Backing up SUBSTed drive aliases with the ADSM Windows client

1995-08-11 14:26:05
Subject: Backing up SUBSTed drive aliases with the ADSM Windows client
From: "Pete Tanenhaus, ADSM Client Development" <pt AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 14:26:05 EDT

>>In my 'User's Guide and Reference for Microsoft Windows' (SH35-0125-02
>> on page 93 (Selecting drives within Chapter 4) I read:
>>   "ADSM client does not allow drive aliases created with the DOS SUBS
>>  command to be backed up. In addition, since the aliases drive has th
>> same volume label as the physical drive it aliases, the client is not
>> able to back up the physical drive. Drive aliases created with SUBSt
>> should be deleted prior to starting Windows."
>>
>> ...and now the discussion may start...
>>
>> Pieter Groen

The reason it's not supported in the Windows client is that the
undocumented DOS call (INT 21h, subfunction 60h, often referred
to as True Name or Canonicalize Path function) we use apparently does
not work in Windows protected mode.

It works in native DOS or in a Windows Virtual DOS machine (DOS box)
but I have been unable to get it to work directly from a Windows
application.

This is why the restriction is documented for the Windows client
(and not for the DOS client).

If anyone has any suggestions on how to determine if a path is a SUBSTed
alias from Windows app, short of using DPMI, I'm willing to listen.

Pete Tanenhaus
ADSM Client Development