ADSM-L

Re: Windows-95

1995-08-07 13:14:43
Subject: Re: Windows-95
From: Andrew Raibeck <raibeck AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 17:14:43 +0000
No, I am *definitely* not too blue to pay attention to other products. I
don't know about NetWork Systems' product, but I did a paper analysis of
Harbor (New Era), Upstream (Enterprise Data, but now Innovation), and
ADSM (IBM). I then selected two products for evaluation, Upstream and
ADSM. I evaluated both for 60 days. I didn't evaluate Harbor because, at
least at the time, they could not back up directly to tape, a feature I
wanted. I also wasn't inclined to like ADSM because I was concerned about
"buggy-ness", especially in a first release. At least the other products
had been out for a while.

As it turned out, I was pleasantly surprised by ADSM, while I was not
at all impressed with Upstream. Hence our choice.

I also tried to qualify my statement somewhat, but I guess I was a little
too subtle or vague. I said "in my shop" it had no peer. What I was driving
at was that for our particular situation, I knew of nothing that worked
better. While I recognize that Harbor, Upstream, and other products may
have made great strides, I am not inclined to switch gears unless there
is a compelling reason to do so. But I am aware that it might not be the
solution for all shops.

I like MS bashing? Just because I don't consider Windows 3.1 or 95 to be
industrial-strength operating systems/environments? I like to think I'm
a little more open-minded than that. You've jumped to the wrong conclusion.
I like their applications products (I use MS Office
and know of no better suite), but Windows 95 leaves a lot to be desired.
And yes, I have tried it so I know of what I speak.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual