ADSM-L

Re: client updates

1995-07-31 03:30:50
Subject: Re: client updates
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 09:30:50 +0200
Chris Krusch <Chris.Krusch AT UBC DOT CA> wrote:

>Automated client update would save many hours of effort (which translates
>to big dollar savings) for us. A lot of time is required to prepare and
>[...]
>
>Many sites are a long way from having any form of software distribution
>package, and as Paul eluded to, even those that do may only support a small
>subset of the ADSM client platforms. This form of distribution would also
>requires us to license and install the distribution software as well as
>ADSM on each machine - at additional work and cost.

I agree. We have been using another backup product, AriaNetBackup (and continue
until ADSM gets stable). This products has automatic client updates which saves
an incredible amount of labour and cost. We switched to ADSM for other reasons
but feel that, in this particular respect, this was a big step backwards.

Regards,

Helmut Richter

Dr. Helmut Richter
Leibniz-Rechenzentrum     X.400:  S=Richter;OU=lrz;P=lrz-muenchen;A=d400;C=de
Barer Str. 21            RFC822:  Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de
D-80333 Muenchen           Tel.:  ++49-89-2105-8785
Germany                     Fax:  ++49-89-2809460