ADSM-L

Re: Multiple polices for same client?

1995-07-27 16:41:35
Subject: Re: Multiple polices for same client?
From: David Boyes <dboyes AT WOOD.HELIOS.ND DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 15:41:35 -0500
> I was presented with this opportunity by one of my customers  :-)

My, but they're good at that...8-).

>then it might be possible for a critical system module to get deleted from the
> hard drive, and then subsequently from the ADSM backup.  (I know this is
> perhaps extreme, but please bear with me.)  I Have been trying to develop a
> process to allow certain files (perhaps the SYS volume, or a set of
>directories within the volume) to have a longer "only file" delete period, but
> haven't had any success.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Create two management classes, and then divide the backup into
two schedules, one for system files using the management class
with the longer retention, and one for user files with the
shorter retention.

That should take care of the problem. I'm not sure that it will
necessarily rebind existing files. You may need to do a FORCE
BACKUP for that node to get the classes assigned properly.