ADSM-L

rebind bkups to new mgmt class

1995-07-19 15:20:26
Subject: rebind bkups to new mgmt class
From: Lee Calhoun <LEECU AT CUVMC.AIS.COLUMBIA DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 14:20:26 EST
I hope this question is easy for somebody... so far I'm stumped:

Awhile ago I reassigned several groups of files on a bunch of AIX nodes
to new management classes.  These new classes had much less generous
retention characteristics than the default management classes to which these
files had been previously bound.  Now all the files on our AIX clients
are being backed up with the retention characteristics we desire.

But a lot of files had already been deleted from the client when their
management classes were reassigned.  Because these files no longer existed
on the client, their backups were never rebound to the new management class.
These backups are still sitting out on our server (MVS) with the old
retention characteristics, not expiring anytime soon, occupying many Gbytes
of tape storage that I would like to reclaim.

How can I rebind backups of deleted datasets to a new management class?
What is the simplest way that I can expire these backups?

Lee Calhoun, Systems Programmer - MVS
Administrative Information Services
Columbia University
Box 700 Central Mail Room, New York NY 10027
phone: (212) 854-5119 fax: (212) 854-4043