ADSM-L

ADSM on OS/2 LAN Server

1995-06-29 09:40:32
Subject: ADSM on OS/2 LAN Server
From: Ron Ritchey <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 08:40:32 CDT
>Date:    Wed, 28 Jun 1995 15:15:23 -0500
>From:    Ron Clark <rclark AT MAIL.MORE DOT NET>
>Subject: ADSM OS/2 Client
>
>I am planning to load the OS/2 client on a machine that is already
>running LAN Server and is used for a data server as well as an
>application server.
>
>Are there and TUNING problems that I should look out for????
>
>Advice from anyone with this experience will be appreciated.

Ron, I've had a little experience with ADSM running on an OS/2 LAN
Server. One problem you will have is that the LAST ACCESS DATE gets
changed on every file that ADSM touches if you are running 386HPFS
on your server. This may not sound like much, but what happens when
you want to go out and remove all the files that have been on the
server for six month but haven't been touched. It can't be done.

I found this problem back in October of 1994. I told IBM that it
had to be fixed before we could use ADSM on our servers. I finally got
then to recognize the problem. ADSM said "that they were VERY interested
getting the problem fixed." Well if you look at the APAR it is
only a priority 3 APAR. Maybe that is why it has been nine month
since the problem was reported and it hasn't been fixed yet.

That makes me wonder when Version 2 for the VM server is going to
be out. We need some of the options that will be in the new version
like volume (TAPE) mirroring. When I talked to IBM they said that
Version 2 for VM wasn't a priority. What does that tell you when
the last access date problem is a high priority?

| Ronald W. Ritchey                    Systems Programmer/Analyst      |
| University of Nebraska               Internet: OSG0312 AT uneb DOT edu      |
| 235 Nebraska Hall                    BITNET:   OSG0312@unlvm         |
| Lincoln NE, 68588-0521               Phone:    (402)472-7605         |