ADSM-L

MVS Server Performance

1995-06-26 13:27:07
Subject: MVS Server Performance
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 12:27:07 EST
While we have been very happy with ADSM overall, I went to look at what
resources it was using and was somewhat surprised to find that it was
averaging 2-3% of an Amdahl 6670 -a fair amount of my machine.

It seems that the big utilization occurs when the server does it's hourly
inventory of files.  I seem to remember seeing something over the list server
here about this indeed being true, and that there was a way to reset the hour
intervals.  However, in searching around through my documentation, I cannot
find anything.

Is there a way to reset the inventory process to run at a larger interval?  If
so, what is a more reasonable number?   What if I set it for once a day?  It
would seem that the overhead involved would not be that much greater if this
activity ran every night, instead of every hour, and my resource utilization
(and ultimately my chargeback to customers) would be considerably less.

Jerry Lawson