ADSM-L

Re: EXPORT Performance

1995-06-22 18:21:11
Subject: Re: EXPORT Performance
From: Melinda Varian <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 18:21:11 EDT
On Thu, 22 Jun 1995 at 18:21:51 -0400, Andrew Raibeck said:

>I've heard a lot of discussion about EXPORT. Based on the outstanding
>problems, I can't believe that very many people, if any, are using it in
>any significant fashion (simply because it's unusable). My suggestion
>would be to forget about it, wait a couple of months for version 2, and
>see what that has to offer.

At Princeton, we are running the VM server (at level 0.8, but not because
I haven't moved to later levels several times).  At the moment, we have
839 clients, a mixture of NetWare, Sun, Windows, Mac, AIX, and OS/2.  Our
database has 38,000,000 entries.  I off-site the database (DUMP DB) each
morning and use EXPORT to do the following offsites:

One particularly important server -- every morning,
All archived files -- twice a week,
The server definitions -- once a week,
All backup files from clients in the same building as the server --
    once a month.

This is becoming more and more of an ordeal, but I have no choice, given
that Version 2 is not yet announced for VM.  (Funny, VM is where ADSM
started.)

Melinda Varian
Princeton University