ADSM-L

Re: email notification

1995-06-22 15:47:18
Subject: Re: email notification
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 15:47:18 EDT
On Thu, 22 Jun 1995 14:41:12 EDT Bob Klein said:
>A possible complication to using the output from query event
>to trigger email -- I have seen instances in which query event
>reported that a scheduled backup completed when, in fact, it
>did not.  The particular situation involved the adsm client
>not being able to access the disk it was supposed to backup,
>and then timing out.  Apparently the scheduler thought the
>session had ended normally.

Has a PMR been opened for this?  Do you know if IBM considers this a bug
or a feature?  I, for one, view this is a serious problem.

On a related issue, our notification process first does a Q EVENT.  However,
if a Q EVENT does not show that the latest backup was successful, the
process then does a Q FILESPACE to see if a manual backup has been done.
It checks the "last backup completion date/time" to determine this.  This
is not perfect, but I believe is better than just relying on Q EVENT.  If
a user has a filespace in ADSM that does not get backed up regularly by
the scheduler, then Q EVENT will show success (if the scheduler finished ok)
but Q FILESPACE will probably flag the filespace as not having been backed
up.  Our E-mail shows each filespace in this event, so the user can decide
for themselves how seriously they want to treat the mailfile.

..Paul