ADSM-L

Re: email notification

1995-06-22 14:41:12
Subject: Re: email notification
From: Bob Klein <KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 14:41:12 EDT
> Actually we do the same thing, but with an MVS ADSM server. IT's been
> a combination of JCL,REXX, and TSO batch email, but it's the same
> principle:
>
>   at set times over day
>   using admin client and macro, perform a QUERY EVENT * * node=*
>   stream output to file
>   tear apart file for individual lines (client records)
>      Depending on status field, do whatever notification you desire
>          compose some e-mail message and send

A possible complication to using the output from query event
to trigger email -- I have seen instances in which query event
reported that a scheduled backup completed when, in fact, it
did not.  The particular situation involved the adsm client
not being able to access the disk it was supposed to backup,
and then timing out.  Apparently the scheduler thought the
session had ended normally.

Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
Phone: 301-496-7400                      Fax: 301-496-6905
Mail:  DCRT/CFB/ETS, 12A/1033, 12 SOUTH DR MSC 5607,
       BETHESDA, MD 20892-5607