ADSM-L

Re: EXPORT Performance

1995-06-22 12:39:20
Subject: Re: EXPORT Performance
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT MAIL.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 11:39:20 EST
> On Wed, 21 Jun 1995 at 17:05:05 GMT, Bill Colwell said:
> > Caution - this ran pretty quickly at level 11 of the mvs server, but
> > export was radically changed at level 12 and the performance of an
> > export of a single node or filespace got much worse when actually
> > moving the data.

Melinda said..
> I had thought that the rationale for the change to EXPORT in Level 12
> was to improve performance.  (I can't tell, because every level higher
> than 11 goes into a loop as soon as I try doing an EXPORT.)  Given that
> my last EXPORT ran for 6.5 days under Level 11 (on a 3090E), I find your
> statement disheartening to say the least.  Do you have any comparison
> numbers?

My level 14 VM server was able to PREVIEW=YES export a single client
of 13K files and 358M data in 2 hours.  Doesn't look like I'll think
about doing the same for the other million files we have backed up,
although I have no idea if the process expands linearly.   :-(

During the EXPORT NODE PREVIEW=YES FILEDATA=BACKUPActive, the server
used 10-20% of my 3090-200J cpu, doing 5-10 I/Os per second.

I recall someone mentioning EXPORT PREVIEW=YES was enhanced by
eliminating an unnecessary sort ... if something else was done, it has
yet to meet my expectations.

Regards,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE