ADSM-L

ADSM for MVS V2 Announcement Questions

1995-06-01 09:55:01
Subject: ADSM for MVS V2 Announcement Questions
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 08:55:01 EST
IBM -

I read the new announcement letters with great interest.  I did have a few
questions that came up along the line.......

1.  The announcement stated the availability dates as 8/25 - Is it safe to
assume that that is for Both the Server and the clients?

2.  There was a section on how you can run the V2 clients with V1 servers that
explained the compatibility issues.  What I missed however, was whether or not
I could order the V2 clients before I placed the order for the V2 server.  I
expect to be installing the server relatively quickly, but I need the Lotus
Notes client yesterday.

3.  Speaking of the Lotus Notes clients, and the OS/2 clients - is there any
communication between them in regards to incremental vs. full backup?  Do they
use the same Nodename?  Specifically, I was worried about the incremental
process of the two clients tripping over each other - a full backup of a notes
database would have some impact on recovery of the incrementals made by the
Notes client on individual documents.

4.  The new pricing structure (which resembles the ADSM/6000 structure) was
interesting.  I did have concern about how PCM hardware fits into this
structure.  For example, what option do I select for an STK 4400 Silo? Since
it looks like a standard 3480 tape drive, I would assume Support module 1 & 2
would do it.

5.  Client support
    a.  OS/2 - Are all new versions of OS/2 Warp supported?  I am concerned
about Warp Connect, which includes (as I understand it) TCP/IP V3.

    b.  Macintosh - is support only for System 7.0, or all System 7 releases
(7.x).  We are using System 7.5 heavily, although I only have a small number
of ADSM users so far.  We like the fact that TCP/IP is now integrated into the
OS - no separate package to install.

    c.  In the requirements satisfied section (actually under PASR) it
mentioned a Sequent client, but I noticed no announcement of the client in the
body of the text.

6.  Lastly - I noticed an upgrade offer for the AIX folks - sure would be nice
if we could get something like that......   :-)

Thanks -

Jerry Lawson