ADSM-L

Re: Procedure for Full Windows Client Recovery

1995-05-12 09:50:27
Subject: Re: Procedure for Full Windows Client Recovery
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT MAIL.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 08:50:27 EST
You should be able to shave some of those steps.

There is no reason that the new hard disk label need match the old.
This is not a big step, but I recommend you think about it.  If the
labels match and you restore before your next backup, then that
incremental will backup just a few new/changed files,  including the
operating system that you just restored.

But if the labels don't match, the next backup will be a new, full,
complete backup, independent of that of your old disk.  You now have a
"point-in-time" backup ... at a very important time in the life of
your machine.  I recommend that the label of the new disk be
*different*.  If you aren't able to restore everything right away,
then you needed worry about a new backup making restore of old
information very difficult.  You can always remove the old backup data
from adsm later.

On restoring the operating system ... if you have a DOS version of
your network software, consider just installing DOS and then
everything else from backup (or even *everything*, after making the
new disk bootable, and running from a boot disk.  I have not tried the
latter).

And finally ... before removing your old disk, check your DSM.OPT file
include/exclude section to make sure you are backing up everything you
need, and then run a backup.

Hope this helps,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE