ADSM-L

Pentium performance and Networks.

1995-05-04 14:02:29
Subject: Pentium performance and Networks.
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 13:02:29 EST
We have a new NetWare server that we want to have backed up via ADSM.  It is a
"hummer" - a 90 Mhz with 14Gb of DASD.  It will be tied to a 16Mb token ring
network via TCP/IP.

We are concerned about what this machine might do to our network, specifically
the routers (cisco routers are the standard).  We had a problem with a
competitor to ADSM that did backup in a similar configuration (from a Sequent
machine to a server via the same network, and they flooded the router, driving
it to 100% utilization, and took down the network.  (The product in question
was doing uncompressed data transmission; we would NOT do this.)

My questions:

1.  Has anyone had experience with Pentium 90's and what did they find?

2.  Are the new features in Level 8 of the NetWare client of any assistance in
this environment?

Jerry Lawson