ADSM-L

Reply to Incorrect Client Pla

1995-04-25 08:51:00
Subject: Reply to Incorrect Client Pla
From: Mike Stewart <STEWAJM AT AUDUCADM.DUC.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 07:51:00 -05
*** Original Author:  ADSM-L @ MARIST - ** Remote User **; 04/25/95 07:02

>Date:         Tue, 25 Apr 1995 07:48:37 EST
>Sender:       "Dist. Stor. Manager(ADSM) List" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>From:         Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
>Subject:      Incorrect Client Platform In looking through my client lists,
>              using the OS/2 admin client, I noticed
>To:           Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

that the server was reporting some strange information.  It would seem that
the "platform" field has information placed in it the first time, and then is
never changed.  For example:

1.  I had a customer who just did a migration from OS/2 to Windows 3.1 (I know
that's backwards, but that's another story).  He reinitialized the hard drive
prior to the move, it now has a new label.  We installed the ADSM Windows
client, and last night ran a full backup.  This morning I found that his
platform showed that he was OS/2.

2.  I have another customer who apparently did a backup on a Windows machine,
and then reused that nodename for a Netware server.  (subsequently deleted the
backup from Windows).  While the files backed up are all from Netware, they
show the platform as Windows.

3.  I have a third customer who has partitioned his hard drive with Boot
Manager; we have set him up with both a Windows and and OS/2 copy of the code
so that he may back up both OS/2 and Windows.  We did OS/2 first - that's what
shows on the platform on the Windows machine.  (The label on the drive even
says DOS - but I know there's no relation within ADSM).

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Jerry Lawson

*** Comments from STEWAJM - Stewart, Mike; 04/25/95 07:48am:

Yes, I have a couple of users who first used the DOS client, and
now, even though they've been Windows users for a year or so,
their platform still indicates DOS.

Mike Stewart
Mgr, Systems Programming
Auburn University