ADSM-L

Mirrored SYS volume under NetWare

1995-04-11 16:06:14
Subject: Mirrored SYS volume under NetWare
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 15:06:14 EST
We tried to do the initial incremental backup of a NetWare server, and got
horrendously long times on the initial pass - 10+ hours to transfer less than
80M (compressed).  The network throughput statistics indicated a problem
elsewhere - ADSM reported 220+ KB/Sec.  The server seemed to run slow as a
rule for the entire 10 hours, leading us to believe there is some problem on
the server; there are a couple of things we are looking at, including memory
utilization on the server.

However, the machine has a somewhat different (for us) configuration for the
drives.  The SYS volume is on an external SCSI drive that is mirrored.  The
hardware is an HP drive and Controller card - the base is supposed to be an
Adaptec 17-42 that was OENed by HP.  There are two volumes physically - one
mirrors the other.

The questions that come to mind are:

    1.  Is there any kind of read penalty for this type of configuration by
ADSM?  Does he try to read both disks?

    2.  Isn't mirroring "supposed" to be transparent to ADSM and to NetWare?
That is, doesn't the controller handle the Nitty Gritty details of what to
read and write, and the OS and it's applications (like ADSM) just do I/O
requests like a regular DASD drive?

Does anyone have a similar configuration?  Is this a likely cause of slow
performance?

Jerry Lawson