ADSM-L

DSM LIMITS?

1995-04-11 08:48:38
Subject: DSM LIMITS?
From: Bill Coughlin <wcoughlin AT GPU DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 07:48:38 EST
--- Received from GPUSC.G2087  910-5180 FAX5567     04/11/95 07.47
  -> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU     MAIL TO EXTERNAL MAIL SYSTEM   IO50C3
  -> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU     MAIL TO EXTERNAL MAIL SYSTEM   IO50C3
This has probably been discussed in the past, but I haven't seen
much discussion on it recently, so "here it goes again":
I have several concerns regarding the limitations of ADSM (or any
storage management product) and the size of the drives and number of
files per volume.
We have an active project to consolidate servers (currently well over
100 LAN SERVER/OS/2 servers with "beaucoup" disk storage - most of
it is 1GB or 2GB drives with some 4GB drives).
As part of the consolidation, we also plan on consolidating disk
storage.  We have several 20GB RAID devices attached (16GB defined as
one volume - mainly because of LAN administrative issues).  We are
now talking about possibly well over 100,000 files and thousands of
directories.  We are running the MVS server version of ADSM with the
majority of the servers on 16MB rings. (mixture of APPC and TCP/IP on
3172's and 3745's).  The backup time doesn't concern me.  The restore
time for individual files and directories doesn't concern me.  What DOES
CONCERN ME is the projected amount of time to DO A FULL RESTORE for
disaster recovery scenarios - we are talking several DAYS to get back
a 16GB drive!
Are others using large volumes (>4GB) and if so, what are you doing
for Disaster Recovery.  Are there quicker ways to get a full server
back?  How about Lan File Services (LFS)? Could this be used somehow
(channel attached) to restore a server with 16GB (or more) on it.
As multi-media/full motion video, etc. takes off, we will be looking
at LAN storage requirements in the hundreds of GB! - we have to look
at this problem now.
Also, hopefully, in the next release IBM fixes the problem of the
4GB limitation on the GUI interface (only displays 4GB size on the
drive even though it's 16GB - 32bit limitation)
Also, the current code has limitations to the number of directories,
files it can display (memory problem).
Sorry for "rambling" - have a good day.
                                       Bill