ADSM-L

NetWare nwmemtst.dsk Test Version

1995-04-04 11:02:10
Subject: NetWare nwmemtst.dsk Test Version
From: Christian Moser <Christian.Moser AT SCHERING DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 10:02:10 EST
     Frank Ramke informed us on March, 13th about a new NetWare Test ADSM
     nwmemtst.dsk. We have testet it on NetWare 3.12 with the following
     results:

     1) Contrary to the ordinary release there were small amounts of cache
        buffers lost after adsm execution, e.g. between 2 and 35 for backup
        of 208 MB.  Sometimes we have lost hundreds of them with the
        ordinary release!

     2) Problems: If somebody tries to UNLOAD DSMC during ADSM activity,
                  the NetWare machine crashes.

                  After loading and unloading ADSM on the NetWare machine
                  without any ADSM activity between, sometimes we have the
                  following situation: ADSM has issued message "please
                  press any key" and hangs. If the operator of the NetWare
                  machine changes to server console, the ADSM process ends,
                  but some cache buffers are lost.

     The benefit is great and the problems are small, but we are not
     allowed to use test software on production machines. So my question
     to Frank Ramke (and other people from IBM) is:

        When will the changes made in nwmemtst.dsk be incorporated into a
        normal ADSM for NetWare production release?

     Very sincerely yours
     Christian Moser,           Internet: christian.moser AT schering DOT de
     SCHERING AG, 13342 Berlin, Tel.: (030)4681356 Fax: (030)46916719