ADSM-L

[no subject]

1995-03-24 12:47:47
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT CAPSLAN.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 12:47:47 EST
 Kees Koopman said..
> The CPU usage of the ADSM server at our site (MVS) is a big issue because
> all the customers (clients) are charged for their ADSM usage, and charging
> is derived from the CPU usage of the ADSM server.
> As far i have seen yet, there is not much too tune on the server what may
> directly affect the CPU utilization.
> But anyway, has anybody experiences in tuning/cutting down the CPU usage
> of ADSM?

We use the VM server and I'm no ADSM expert, but I'll offer...

turning off hourly expiration and only doing it occasionally helps a
  lot (we do it a couple of hours before our main 3rd shift backup
  window).

Some clients may default to SLOW INCREMENTAL ON.  This may be
  necessary on some low-memory systems, but SLOW INCREMENTAL OFF has
  worked on every machine I've seen and it seems to lowere server
  cpu-cost substantially.

I'm of the opinion the biggest "cutting down the CPU usage of ADSM"
item might be for us to continue to remind the current release is a CPU
pig and needs substantial work once some other issues (client
platforms, disaster recovery, etc) are addressed.

Hope this helps,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE