ADSM-L

More on ADSM Client Compression Bug

1995-03-16 15:29:57
Subject: More on ADSM Client Compression Bug
From: Michael Kearney <michael AT UDCEMAIL.UDC.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 15:29:57 -0500
Folks,

I've read and comprehended the discussions on this list relating to the
recently announced compression bug in ADSM clients and have the following
problem and suggestion:

One difficulty I have in helping our customers make an informed decision
about what to do is that we have no better indication of the risk
involved than: it hasn't turned up in 6 years (assumed lifetime of
WDSF+ADSM up to this point).

I understand that the server modifications necessary to trace and identify
likely file candidates is, optimistically, 1 month away.  Presumably,
though, these tools will be tested within IBM considerably before that. It
would be very useful if IBM development could run the tools on some of
their own systems prior to its general release and post the aggregate
results to the list. This would help give us a few data points on which to
make a more informed judgement about the course of action necessary
somewhat before we can do the measurement ourselves. I am of the opinion
that weeks count here, as we don't really know what our exposure is.

Thanks, MK

--
Michael W. Kearney                        Phone : (215)-898-1153
Michael W. Kearney                        Phone : (215)-898-1153

'"User" is a swearword employed by systems programmers to denote people
who want useful output from the computer they paid for.' - John Blatt