ADSM-L

Re: ADSM data loss problem

1995-03-09 11:41:12
Subject: Re: ADSM data loss problem
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 11:41:12 EST
Jacquie,

Thank you very much for your answers to my questions.  Your description of
this problem helps me to better quantify the odds that we were hit by this.
By my rough calculations, the problem will occur in one out of every 2730
files (approximately) which are larger than 32K.  Given the sheer volume of
files that we have stored in ADSM, I'm guessing that this problem hits us
on several of our nodes.

The sooner the analysis tool is available to us, the more useful it will be
to us.  I was hoping to be able to contact our users and tell them (1) that
there is a problem and what it is, (2) that there is new code available that
fixes this problem and that they should install it, and (3) whether they
were affected by the problem or not.

However, given the seriousness of the problem and your target date for the
analysis tool, I don't think I can afford to wait until the analysis tool is
available before I contact them, which means that I won't be able to tell
them whether they were affected or not.

If there is any way the analysis tool's availability could be advanced, it
would be very helpful!

Thanks again for your help.
..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601