ADSM-L

Re: Using Access Authorizations to distribute client updates

1995-02-25 00:37:09
Subject: Re: Using Access Authorizations to distribute client updates
From: "Brett Walker (408)256-0265 Fax:" <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 21:37:09 PST
Re: Note from you attached below

> You can, however, backup all of this to a single node on the server.
> So all your users could attach to that single node, and would see only
> the filespaces that it understands.
>

>>   Create a node in ADSM which has a filespace of each general
>>   type: UNIX, Netware, MAC, PC(OS/2,DOS)  (a phantom node as it were)
>>
>>   Put in backup storage under each system the client kits.
>>
>>   Set up access permissions that let everyone access this node.
>>
>>   Then everyone will see only the one filespace they support, and
>>   they should be able to restore from this to distribute the
>>   software.

Well, actually, yeah, this should work.  I'm not sure if I made this
clear in my previous note, but clients with similar filesystems (such
as unix, or the OS/2,DOS) can see each others filesystems.

So for the OS/2,Windows,DOS clients, create a seperate directory for
each client, place the files in there, and selectively back it up.  When
your OS/2 user accesses the node, he will see the OS/2 client, DOS client,
and Windows client.  This should be ok.  Then do the same for the unix
clients.

Only thing is, I can't remember if an access rule can be applied to all
nodes...

Good luck!

Brett