ADSM-L

Re: Performance characteristics of various ADSM servers

1995-02-07 10:57:18
Subject: Re: Performance characteristics of various ADSM servers
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 15:57:18 GMT
In <1995Feb6.214425.8996 AT draper DOT com>, MAINT%MIZZOU1.BITNET AT vm.marist
DOT edu
(Larry Sanders, VM System Maintenance) writes:
>I need to find out more information about the relative performance
> etc.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Larry Sanders                              [email protected]
>University Computing Services              MAINT AT MIZZOU1.MISSOURI DOT EDU
>University of Missouri - Columbia

Besure that your ADSM server is not suffering from 2 cpu hogging
'features'.  Before turning off these features ADSM took 6 hours of
cpu to service 400 end user clients.  Today it uses 2 hours to service
nearly 700 clients.

The first is the hourly 'client inventory expiration process'.  As
shipped by IBM, ADSM will by default start this process 1 hour after
the previous process ended.  It reads the whole database to find files
to delete.  It couldn't be controlled by the sysadm.  One of the
service levels added sysadm control over this process.  Read the text
file which is installed with every server level for documentation on
the new commands for sysadm control.

The second feature is in the way that the Mac, Windows, and DOS
clients run by default.  They do a 'slow incremental' in order to
reduce the need for ram in the client.  It involves repeated calls to
the server to get the servers info about the next folder in a
filespace (compare the os2 and unix clients - one call to the server
per filespace).  These repeated calls drive the server crazy and boost
the server cpu used for a Mac or Win incremental by 20 to 50 times!
For the Mac and Win clients add 'slowincremental off' to the
preferences or dsm.opt.  The DOS client can't be helped.  You will
need to boost the ram for the mac client.

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com
Voice: 617-258-1550