ADSM-L

ADSM Sybase Support

1995-02-06 12:12:05
Subject: ADSM Sybase Support
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 09:12:05 PST
Tom,  if your Sybase database is installed on raw devices, you can use
the Sybase backup utilities, dump database and dump transaction (or the
bulk copy utility) to dump the database and logs to files and then use
ADSM to back up those files.  Using SQL-BackTrack would be a better solution
since it uses the ADSM api and will not create an intermediate file...the
data is sent directly to ADSM.

These same options apply if your Sybase database is installed on files, but
then you also have an additional option, using ADSM to directly back up
the files that comprise the database.....one consideration with this
approach is that the database needs to be offline.  When you use the
Sybase dump utilities or SQL-BackTrack, Sybase can be online.

It is a known requirement to provide Sybase native use of the ADSM api....
ie, for the Sybase utilities, dump database and dump transaction to
send their results directly to ADSM.

There is a nice chart in the ADSM database whitepaper that outlines the
various backup alternatives for each database product.....I'll add these
charts to the next version of the redbook.....please let me know if you
have any additional questions....thanks, Cyndie
IBM - ITSO San Jose
cbehrens AT vnet.ibm DOT com
408-256-6934