ADSM-L

[no subject]

1995-02-02 02:51:31
From: Hans Kilian <dkatplzx AT IBMMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 02:51:31 EST
Hi,

>Has anyone used the product with PC3270 package.

No, but I've used Communications Manager under OS/2. I hope that the figures
are approximately the same for the PC3270 package.

>How good is the transfer rate?

Our OS/2 clients are connected through a 16MB/s Token Ring LAN and a 3745
controller. With the 3270 protocol we get a transfer rate of approximately
15 KB/sec. This is at night, when the LAN and host are (almost) idle.

>How easy or awkward is it to use?

We had some problems with the handshaking at the start of a session, where
the session would fail, and we wouldn't get a backup that night. If you
have a choice between 3270 and LU6.2, I'll recommend that you use LU6.2.
In my experience, LU6.2 is much more stable and also faster than 3270.

>Has anyone installed the LU6.2 transfer?

Yes, we switched to LU6.2 as soon as we could. The transfer rate has
improved to approximately 25 KB/sec. We tried using a common LU at the
client end, and sharing it. It seemed to work OK, but approximately once
a week something went wrong, and only a few clients could connect. We
then defined a LU for each client, and now everything works as it should.

>The documentation is a tad vague in places and some "war stories" and
>suggestions would be most welcome.

It isn't that hard to define a LU6.2 session in Communications Manager.
If you want something to look at, please mail me, and I'll send you
my Communications Manager .NDF-file.

Regards,
Hans Kilian, ATP Denmark (dkatplzx AT ibmmail DOT com)