ADSM-L

VM Server prompted backup problem

1995-01-27 15:43:24
Subject: VM Server prompted backup problem
From: Paul Goodwin <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 15:43:24 EST
We have a VM server which is prompting a number of machines for backup,
but have run into a problem:

Apparently, when ADSM tries to open a connection to a remote machine, and
sends a synchronization packet (SYN-sent) there is no default timeout for
the open attempt.  Thus, we have an OS/2 user whose machine isn't running
the TCP software suite at the moment.  When the server tries to prompt a
backup of his machine, all server-prompted backups hang!  His machine isn't
responding, and because there isn't a timeout (at least at this point) the
server quits trying to back up machines that run in server-prompted mode.

Has anyone seen this?  Have I missed an obvious fix, other than doing client-
polling?

Paul