ADSM-L

Re: ADSM-L Digest - 19 Jan 1995 to 20 Jan 1995

1995-01-23 11:12:26
Subject: Re: ADSM-L Digest - 19 Jan 1995 to 20 Jan 1995
From: "R. Alexander" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 11:12:26 EST
While we might be able to live with documenting to users to always
do restores and achieves from one client for the whole campus, we
can't live with trying to backup half the western
(and perhaps eastern) world through
user symlinks to other AFS cells. I am sure there is a programmatic
way to skip these links...

Both are problems we need to have addressed...otherwise ADSM
will fail miserably here and IBM will be the target for a lot of
carping.

Is there anyone in ADSM development that can address these two problems?
R.

>The second problem (and this is the real reason why we don't use adsm to
>In our case, many User makes mountpoints from their home to points of
>interest all over AFS-world. This is a easy way to reach (user)important
>files. If you (our your user) starts backup, you will do this for many
>system:anyuser partitions all over the world.
>
>Adsm will often hang because of timeouts etc.
>
>Next Problem is, that all of our dec-ultrix machines running adsm and AFS
>Today, I use adsm to backup only local filesystems and transarc's backup
>for AFS-volumes.

Richard Alexander                         phone: (518) 276-6785
Mgr, High Performance Computing           fax: (518) 276-2809
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute          Internet: alexar AT rpi DOT edu