ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and AFS

1995-01-20 05:06:05
Subject: Re: ADSM and AFS
From: Hans Pfleger <pfleger AT WU-WIEN.AC DOT AT>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 09:06:05 -0100
On Thu, 19 Jan 1995, R. Alexander wrote:

Hi Richard,

> ADSMers,
>
> We at RPI use AFS for our campus file system.
> It is my understanding that ADSM will backup AFS volumes and
> acls.

We also do this, we use AFS as our file system and ADSM for backup.

> What is unclear to me from reading ADSM docs is how a user is
> identified to ADSM...  The functional need is for joe user to
> connect to any(many) multi-user workstation and be able retrieve or store
> his files with ADSM... Is this possible and convenient.

This is one problem. In your situation, only root should do the backup
for all users. Only in this case, you are shure to backup your file only
one times.

The second problem (and this is the real reason why we don't use adsm to
backup AFS volumes) is that adsm don't know, when it leaves the own cell.

In our case, many User makes mountpoints from their home to points of
interest all over AFS-world. This is a easy way to reach (user)important
files. If you (our your user) starts backup, you will do this for many
system:anyuser partitions all over the world.

Adsm will often hang because of timeouts etc.

Next Problem is, that all of our dec-ultrix machines running adsm and AFS
(client or server) will core 5 sec after start. Now, 4 month and
many discussions (IBM say, its a DEC-problem and reverse) later,
I have a fix which allows me to backup ultrix-machines in line-mode but
the graphical interface will core at startup. So I think, IBM (or Addstar) is
not able to give you respectable support when you use Adsm and AFS.

> Does one run an AFS client on a system that runs the ADSM client.
> Can the ADSM client run on the ADSM server system..
>
> We plan to use an R24 w/1GB of memory for both interactive users
> and the ADSM server function.  Can you see
> any problems with this arrangement?

Today, I use adsm to backup only local filesystems and transarc's backup
for AFS-volumes.

This isn't the way we imagined, because we purchased a lago data
library which we can't use to do real user-backup with adsm on the one
hand and on the other it is not possible to share this device when adsm
is running.

If you find a better way to use adsm for AFS filesystems, please send me
a mail.

All hints from IBM shows me, that this people (both, the Austrian support
team and their coworkers in US) don't realy know, what AFS is and which
tools a system administrator needs to do a real campus-wide backup in
case of AFS.

++hp

 > Thanks in advance for your thoughts?
>
> R.
>
> Richard Alexander                         phone: (518) 276-6785
> Mgr, High Performance Computing           fax: (518) 276-2809
> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute          Internet: alexar AT rpi DOT edu

Hans Pfleger                                      pfleger AT wu-wien.ac DOT at
WU-Wien, EDV-Zentrum, Abt. zentr. Infrastruktur  Tel. ++43 1 31336/4105
University Of Economics And Business Administration Vienna, Austria

Even my 8-year old can do math more accurately than a Pentium ;)