ADSM-L

response to a hostile Unix Admin's level zero argument.

1995-01-18 20:05:02
Subject: response to a hostile Unix Admin's level zero argument.
From: "Joseph A. Faracchio" <SPGJAF AT CMSA.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 17:05:02 PST
Our workstation manager suggested to her Unix administrators that they use
my ADSM offering to backup their Unix (Sun & Ultrix) servers.

And being the *good* Unix citizens that they are they argued (successfully)
that they *have to* do level zero backups and so there's *no* reason to
duplicate backups again with ADSM to VM.  (i.e. I could not provide them
with a 'complete' disaster recovery tool that would eliminate their
having to do backups)

So my questions are:

1) is level zero backups on Unix so hard to initiate that they're right in say-
   ing that's its very little effort to include all the data (system & user)??
    (I argued that they need only backup the OS and ADSM programs & ADSM
    could provide the rest in a disaster recovery scenario.)

2) are they going about this in a wrong way by doing level zero backups
   and therefore precluding my arguments?  (i.e. is there an easier way
   of creating a 'bootstrap' backup that could launch them into running ADSM
   for a disaster recovery scenario?)

3) what arguments can be made for ADSM even with a level zero backup?

   1) good redundancy in case their level zero tapes are unreadable (possible)

   2) better / more up-to-date backups if ADSM is run twice daily compared
      to level zero backups run every X (where X is every day/week/month)

   3) ease of use for individual users on the server (there maybe no users)

thanks in advance for your suggestions!
cheers  !!     ...   joe.f.