ADSM-L

[no subject]

1995-01-09 20:00:04
From: Chris Krusch <Chris.Krusch AT UBC DOT CA>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 17:00:04 -0800
Well, unless when calculating percentages you round up to the nearest
percent, this still doesn't quite work.

He wants to be sure everything is on tape (so do we, every morning). What
if there are only 2 files in the disk storage pool that total 0.23% of the
backup pool space, and we want to force them to tape. Would migration even
start if I set the High migration threshold to 1%?

At 11:45 AM 1/9/95 -0700, Greg Tevis wrote:
>Michel,
>
>The high threshold specifies at what percentage adsm should START
>migration of the storage pool.  You should also specify LOWMIG=0
>to specify at what percentage to STOP migration.  I think LOWMIG=0
>is the parameter you're looking for and should cover the scenario
>you describe below...
>
>Greg Tevis
>ADSM Technical Support

>Hi there,
>
>I've got the following problem :
>
>Every week we are supposed to make a "exact copy" of the data saved and
>register
>ed in our ADSM server (running under VM) in case of disaster recovery. So the
>wa
>y we are doing it is the following :
>
>-Disable the server
>-Start the migration of disk STG to 3490 (using UPDATE STG HIGHMIG=1)
>-When the former is done start the DUMP DB CONSISTENT=YES
>-Copy every 3490 volume to another one going to a safe place (!)
>-Re-enable the server.
>
>The problem is the limitation we get in the HIGHMIG spec : we cannot ask 0 !!
>that means that we are not sure to get all the files on disk copied on 3490 ..
>if %mig < 1 ...
>
>Is this limitation (1 and not 0)  for HIGMIG in no way changeable ???
>Maybe you ADSM experts can provide me with another command that does the same
>th
>ing (but not MOVE DATA that erases the data after moving them).
>
>many thanks in advance,  michel

Chris Krusch                             Email: krusch AT ucs.ubc DOT ca
University Computing Services            Phone: (604)822-4215