ADSM-L

Re: network backup solutions

1995-01-03 11:14:25
Subject: Re: network backup solutions
From: Wendy Backup Buddha Alberg <WAXY AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 11:14:25 EST
Bud-
  Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  The whole university
shut down for a week and we're all back to work just today.

  You asked:
>                             ... One question: Can ADSM/6000
>       handle tape retention cycles? For example, if I were to create a
>       backup today that I wanted to keep for a month, what would ADSM
>       do if an operator inserted that same tape into the tape drive
>       tomorrow? Would it notify the operator that the tape was not in a
>       "scratch" status and eject it, or would it allow the tape to be
>       overwritten?

  There are two questions here: would ADSM ever write over the wrong
tape, and how does ADSM handle backup retention.

  As far as I know, and this is how we're using the tape robot, ADSM
requires labels on all the tapes in its library(s), so it will never
write on the wrong tape.  When ADSM asks for a backup tape, if the
operator puts the wrong tape in the drive ADSM sees the wrong label on
the tape and asks the operator for the correct one.  ADSM scratch tapes
have normal tape labels and ADSM keeps track of which tapes are scratch
and which aren't.

  ADSM backup retention is different from what we're used to with other
backup systems.  ADSM retains backed up files, not backup tapes.  You
tell it how long to keep the most current copy of a file and how long
to keep how many older versions of that file.  ADSM keeps track of
which versions of files on a tape have expired and which are still
valid.  When a certain percentage, settable by you, of the files on a
tape have expired, ADSM migrates only the still-valid files to a new tape
and scratches the old tape.

Wendy Alberg, Computer Resources Technical Support Group, 315 CCC,
Cornell Information Technologies, Cornell Univ., Ithaca, NY 14853
wa10 AT cornell DOT edu    607/255-2672