ADSM-L

Re: How do I define 8mm in AIX?

1994-12-14 12:56:54
Subject: Re: How do I define 8mm in AIX?
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 12:56:54 EST
On Mon, 12 Dec 1994 13:28:08 EST Vern Maxson said:
>All of our 8mm tape drives on all of our RS/6000s are defined as
>/dev/rmt0.  The ADSM Administrator' Reference (page 96), referring
>to the DEFINE DRIVE command says "For 8mm tape drives, you must
>specify the device name having the form /dev/mtX....  DO NOT enter
>a device name that has the form /dev/rmtX."  Is there a secret way
>to get AIX to define an 8mm drive as "mt" instead of "rmt"?

It's always a good idea to read the README file that comes with IBM software.
Below is an extract from the README file for the ADSM/6000 server, which
tells you what you need to know.          ..Paul
--
CONSIDERATIONS WHEN CONFIGURING 8MM DEVICES
CONSIDERATIONS WHEN CONFIGURING 8MM DEVICES

You should be aware that ADSM provides its own device drivers for use with
8mm tape drives.  These device drivers must be used in place of the device
drivers that are distributed with AIX.  To ensure that you use the ADSM
drivers instead of the base AIX ones, be sure that you select one of the
following items from the list that is presented to you by SMIT after you
have chosen the "Devices", "Tape Drive", "Add a Tape Drive" sequence:

*   IBM_7208_1
*   IBM_7208_11
*   EXB_8200
*   EXB_8500
*   EXB_8500C

Note that you should NOT select the "8mm5gb", "8mm" or "ost" items, since
they are the base AIX 8mm tape device drivers!