ADSM-L

[no subject]

1994-12-09 18:17:18
From: Frank Ramke <ramke AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 15:17:18 PST
From:         Steve Moore <SWMGR AT MIAMIU.MUOHIO DOT EDU>
Subject:      Preserving Novell directory attributes

The netware client will restore these attributes. However, there are
the following issues that could be part of your problem:

1) If the directories still exist when the restore is done, you will
   have to use the -SUBdirectory=yes option. This will indicate to
   the client that the user wants the subdirectories restored even
   if they already exist.

2) If the user is restoring the directory structure to DIFFERENT
   path than originally backed up, the attributes won't be restored.
   There is an open APAR for this problem (IC08580), which, will be
   fixed in the next PTF for the client. In alfa test now at the
   user that opened the APAR.

3) If the user has empty directories that are not getting restored, this
   is because only an incremental backup will backup empty directories
   in the first place. This problem will be fixed in a new version
   of ADSM clients. (NOT in the next PTF).

4) Directory changes are not checked during selective backup. Only during
   incremental backups do we check directory entry changes and back
   up the entry. This will also be addressed in a new version, but
   not in the next PTF.

Frank Ramke, IBM
referenced ADSM-L list entry:
We have the VM ADSM 1.1.10 server and a Novell 3.11 client with ADSM
1.2.03.  During our testing we noticed that Novell directory attributes
such as Del Inhibit, Hidden Dir, Purge Dir and Rename Inhibit are not
preserved upon restore.  My main Novell administrator is very unhappy
with this behavior.  Is this a feature or a bug?  Thanks in advance for
any comments.

Steve Moore - Software Coordinator
              Miami University, Oxford, Ohio