ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and 3490E D42 Tape Drive

1994-12-08 12:22:28
Subject: Re: ADSM and 3490E D42 Tape Drive
From: "Larry Sanders, VM System Maintenance" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 11:22:28 CST
On Wed, 7 Dec 1994 13:51:33 PST Peter Hadikin (HDIP9235) said:
>We have an ADSM server running under VM. I am finding that when migrating to
>tape cartridge we are only writing about 400 meg of data per cartridge before
>the tape fills up. The tape drives we have are IBM 3490E D42 cartridge drives.
>They have IDRC support, are 36 track bi-directional drives etc. I would expect
>to see much more that 400 meg of data being written to a cartridge.

Is data compression being done by the client workstations?  If so, then I
think that you should expect to see little or no additional compression from
IDRC.  On our 3490 drives with standard 3480 cartridges and IDRC, ADSM
reports from 180 to 200 MB of data on full volumes.  If you are using
standard length cartridges with 36-track bidirectional recording, 400 MB
sounds about right.