ADSM-L

Meaning of Directory Sent Messages

1994-10-18 15:25:16
Subject: Meaning of Directory Sent Messages
From: Bob Klein <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 15:25:16 EDT
I have just started doing incremental backups of my Unix system.
I set up an include/exclude file in order to backup only one
directory and its subdirectories.  ADSM does indeed seem to be
backing up only that directory, but in the process, it also
says that it sends the other directories (but not the files
in those other directories).  I thought the whole idea of
setting up include/exclude lists was that adsm would not do
anything with any directory or file that did not meet the
include/exclude specifications.  Here is the include/exclude
specification that I am using:

exclude /afs/alw.nih.gov/dcrt/kl2/.../*
include /afs/alw.nih.gov/dcrt/kl2/prod/.../*

As implied in the above specification, I am backing up afs files
and have defined a virtual mount point so that adsm will not
]search the entire /afs file space.  Any enlightment on why I
get messages about directories other than .../kl2/prod being
sent will be most appreciated.

Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
Phone: 301-496-7400                      Fax: 301-496-6905
Mail:  DCRT/CFB/ETS, 12A/1033, 12 SOUTH DR MSC 5607,
       BETHESDA, MD 20892-5607