ADSM-L

ANS4017E Session rejected

1994-10-12 10:34:27
Subject: ANS4017E Session rejected
From: 88130 <jwwhite AT SRP DOT GOV>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 07:34:27 -0700
We are using TCP/IP to backup our LAN Server machines to our ADSM MVS
server.  A couple of the LAN Server machines have disk drives with a
large number (ie 30,00+) of files stored on them, hundreds of which
could change on a given day.  However, on days when not many files did
change, we were getting a "ANS4017E Session rejected: TCP/IP connection
failure" error well into the backup.  Apparently when a drive on the
client machine is being scanned for files that have changed, there are
periods of no commuication with the ADSM server, depending on how many
files reside on that drive?  We have now gotten around the problem by
tweaking the COMMTIMEOUT and IDLETIMEOUT parms in the server options
file.  I would much prefer to get a more meaninful error that says
something like "Timeout period exceeded, connection severed" when the
above condition occurs.  To me the ANS4017E is much more appropriate
if the client cannot establish an initial connection.  Anyway, just
my $0.02 worth.  Would appreciate hearing from IBM on this one.

Jim