ADSM-L

Re: Mac and other schedulers tie up the computer

1994-10-07 09:47:46
Subject: Re: Mac and other schedulers tie up the computer
From: Lee Maschmeyer <lmaschm AT CMS.CC.WAYNE DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 09:47:46 EDT
On Thu, 6 Oct 1994 16:22:06 EST, Wayne T. Smith wrote:

>> From:          Mike Kaczmarski <kacz AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>  replied...
>
>> An online database dump, when specified with CONSISTENT=YES (the default)
>> QUIESCES all database transaction activity during the dump so that
>> a consistent database image is recorded and a database audit is not required
>> if you need to reload the database from the dump image at a later point in
>> time.
>
>Yes, I should have stated the DUMP DB was with consistent=yes.
>
>> Since transaction activity is quiesced, new sessions cannot start
>> during the dump, because session startup logic begins a database
>> transaction.  Please refer to the README information provided with your
>> server PTF for more information on this or contact me directly and I will
>> be happy to discuss this with you.
>
>I have read the README information, but it is irrelevant.  The ADSM
>client scheduler software *MUST* (did I say that loud enough?) stay
>out of the way.  I don't care what the network or the server is
>doing, it is wrong, intolerable, a bug, just plain BAD for the ADSM
>client to lock up the client machine.
>
>Wayne T. Smith
>Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
>University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE

Would it help to disable the server before doing the DUMPDB?  That way,
only the poor sobs that are already on the server would be locked up.
Still wrong, but with proper notification it might be tolerable.

The Dos scheduler always ties up the machine, whether the database is
quiesced or not.  That's its design.  I wish I had something I could put in
the autoexec.bat that would issue the ADSM (or any other?) command at a
certain time every night so I'd get an automatic backup just by not turning
off my machine.  I've checked out several things from SimTel but none of
them fills the bill.  Does anyone know of such a beast?

| Lee Maschmeyer         | lmaschm AT cms.cc.wayne DOT edu  |
| 103 Computing Center   | (313)577-0741             |
| Wayne State University | Fax: (313)577-1338        |
| Detroit, Mi 48202      | Home: (810)545-0170       |