ADSM-L

Date of last archive?

1994-10-04 10:44:56
Subject: Date of last archive?
From: "Richard A. Schafer" <schafer AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 09:44:56 -0500
While trying to solve a problem for one of our users, I ran into a question
that we could not answer: Is there a way to tell when was the last time
someone archived data from a UNIX client?  Using the OS/2 administrator GUI
tool, I could look at the filespace, but it only shows the date of the last
backup, and doesn't reflect archive activity.  We searched the various ADSM
manuals, but could never find any clue about doing this anywhere.

In the case we were dealing with, the user claimed to have archived some data,
but when he went to retrieve it, ADSM couldn't find it.  Although it
eventually turned out that he'd archived it under one userid and was trying to
retrieve it under another, we had no way from an ADSM administrator standpoint
of verifying that any archiving had ever been done on that filesystem.  (We
don't have root authority on that UNIX system, so could not look for the files
that way.)

What are we missing?  Or is this a missing capability of ADSM?  If the latter,
I really would like to encourage it's being added somehow.

--
Richard A. Schafer
Richard A. Schafer