ADSM-L

Running ADSM from a Server.

1994-09-14 19:17:59
Subject: Running ADSM from a Server.
From: David Derk <derk AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 16:17:59 PDT
> I'm in the process of looking into making ADSM available to more of ou
> network users.  Right now, we are mainly using it for LAN servers and
> a few PC's.  Instead of installing a copy of ADSM on each PC on the
> network, I would like to try the following scenario:
>
> - ADSM code resides on a LAN server, in a r/o directory accessible by eryone
>   on the server.
> - Individual options files are located in each user's LAN directory, b
>   protected so they can't be altered by the user.
> - Log files such as DSMERROR.LOG would be placed in the user's LAN dirtory.

Hello Martha,
    There is another ADSM environment variable for this purpose.
Set DSM_LOG to specify the directory where you want the
DSMERROR.LOG to reside.
   In addition, if you are running the client scheduler there
is an ADSM option SCHEDLOGNAME which can be defined in the
DSM.OPT file to point to the schedule log.  The schedule log
is similar to the DSMERROR.LOG but used to log the results of
ADSM schedules.

Therefor your setup on OS/2 may look like this:
  PATH=R:\ADSM\BIN...                       (readonly - EXEs)
  LIBPATH=R:\ADSM\BIN\DLL...                (readonly - DLLs)

  SET DSM_DIR=R:\ADSM\BIN                   (readonly - TXT, HLP)
  SET DSM_CONFIG=R:\ADSM\MARTHA\OPT\dsm.opt (readonly - dsm.opt )
  SET DSM_LOG=R:\ADSM\MARGHA\RESULTS\       (read/write -dsmerror.log)

  SCHEDLOGNAME=R:\ADSM\MARTHA\RESULTS\dsmsched.log (read/write sched.log

   One more note.  The DSM_xxx environment variables affect the
backup-archive command line (dsmc.exe) backup-archive gui (dsm.exe)
and the admin command line (dsmadmc.exe) clients.
There are corresponding DSMG_xxx environment variables which are
used by the administrative graphical user interface (DSMADM.EXE).

Hope this helps.
-David Derk-