ADSM-L

ADSM Restore on AIX

1994-09-14 12:30:00
Subject: ADSM Restore on AIX
From: Matthias Feyerabend <M.Feyerabend AT GSI DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 17:30:00 +0100
>On Wed, 14 Sep 1994 11:25:26 +0100 Matthias Feyerabend said:
>>During the restore activity I removed the DOMAIN statement.
>>I didn't want ADSM to see the missing files,
>>as I thought, ADSM would then mark the backups for expiry etc.

Paul Zarnowski answered:
>This may be the problem, Matthias.  If you removed the entire DOMAIN
>statement, ADSM defaults to "DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL", which will back up all
>local filesystems.  You can verify this hypothesis by invoking dsm on the
>AIX client and viewing inactive files as well as active files.  If ADSM
>marked these files inactive, then it must have thought that filesystem was
>within its domain.

I am not sure, if I made things clear.

In the dsm.opt file I have several DOMAIN statements, each of which
specifies one single filesystem.

One of these filesystem went down and had to be restored.
During the restore (2 or 3 days) I removed one of the DOMAIN statement,
pointing to that filesystem. Other DOMAIN statements staid there.

Restore done, I put back the DOMAIN statement with the restored filesystem.

The next scheduled incremental backup made new backups from the restored
files.

That is now my question:

Removing filesystems from DOMAIN statements and reappearing them some scheduled
operations later, does this make ADSM think, they are new filesystems and
need incremental backups, nevertheless they have backups and didn't change
since then ?

Sorry, for not making it clear in the first place.

Best regards
Best regards
Matthias Feyerabend            phone:    (49) 6151 359-2519
GSI, Darmstadt                 internet: M.Feyerabend AT gsi DOT de