ADSM-L

[no subject]

1994-09-14 06:25:26
From: Matthias Feyerabend <M.Feyerabend AT GSI DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 11:25:26 +0100
Subject: ADSM Restore on AIX

Could somebody explain me wether I am victim of a bug
or simple falling under the favour of a feature.

We are doing scheduled incremental backups on different UNIX
clients. DOMAIN statements in the clients option files
specify the filesystems to back up.

After disk failure we had to restore whole filesystems.
I took several days to accomplish this, as the new disk was too
small to get all data, etc ....

During the restore activity I removed the DOMAIN statement.
I didn't want ADSM to see the missing files,
as I thought, ADSM would then mark the backups for expiry etc.

Some days later after most of the files restored I put back the
DOMAIN statement with the filesystem in the option file.

Next morning I saw the results of last nights scheduled incremental backup:
The restored files were marked "updating ..." and got new backups.
To my knowledge files are looked for filesize and timestamp to see if they
have changed. Neither of these two changed, so why ADSM thinks they have
changed ??

The only explanation I can think of
is the missing DOMAIN statement
for this filesystem during several scheduled incremental backups.

Does ADSM thinks the filesystem is new, when it reappears with the DOMAIN
statement ??

Bug or feature ?

Best regards
Best regards
Matthias Feyerabend            phone:    (49) 6151 359-519
GSI, Darmstadt                 internet: M.Feyerabend AT gsi DOT de