ADSM-L

Re: (none)

1994-09-07 09:29:49
Subject: Re: (none)
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1994 13:29:49 GMT
In <1994Sep7.075102.7985 AT draper DOT com>, dkatplzx AT ibmmail DOT com (Hans
Kilian) writes:
>Hello again.
>
>Another question. We've really started to use ADSM now, and the CPU usage
>on the host has increased from around 1,5 hours to 24 hours per month.
>
>When I examine the distribution of CPU usage during the day, ADSM uses
>approximately 2 CPU minutes per hour, with a small increase (around 1 minute)
>when we do our backups at night. I assume that the CPU ADSM is using during
>daytime is used for database maintenance, which, AFAIK, kicks in once every
>hour.
>
>Since we only do backups at nighttime, I would like to limit ADSM's use of
>CPU for this database maintenance. If I could specify that I only wanted it
>once a day (at 2 AM for instance), I figure that I can save at least 90%
>of the CPU that ADSM is using.
>
>My problem is that I can't find an option or a SET command to reduce the
>database maintenance. Is there such an option or command?
>
>If there is a good reason for doing the database maintenance once every
>hour, I would also like to hear it, because I have to explain why ADSM
>uses 3 times the CPU of HSM on our machine.
>
>Hans Kilian, ATP Denmark

     This is fixed in level 0.5/1.5 or higher of the server.  Look in
the file ANR1110, which on an MVS system goes into SYS1.SAMPLIB.  It
is a summary of all fixes to date plus the documentation for
enhancements.  What you want is supplied by apar PN50939.  I urge you
to carefuly review this file for all the enhancements not documented
yet in the Administrator manuals.

    Also, the way some clients run can have a big effect on CPU.  In
particular, research the 'slowincrmental' feature for the Mac and
Windows clients.  Setting it to off can reduce the server cpu.

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com
Voice: 617-258-1550