ADSM-L

Oddity during Novell Restore

1994-08-29 13:55:35
Subject: Oddity during Novell Restore
From: Melinda Varian <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 1994 13:55:35 EDT
Over the weekend, we moved a large directory from one disk on a Novell
server to another disk on the same Novell server by doing an ADSM
restore.  The new disk was entirely empty to begin with, so we simply
specified that all files in the directory were to be restored, and we
did not specify "-replace=yes".

The restore required the server to mount 11 tapes.  Twice, it loaded the
last file from a tape and then loaded the SAME file from the beginning
of the next tape.  We noticed this because both times it prompted for
whether that file should be replaced (as it was loading it from the
second of the two tapes).

This made me feel rather uneasy.  Was the file at the end of the first
tape complete?  If so, why was it also backed up on the next tape?  If
not, why was it restored?  Either way, why did ADSM not recognize that
it had two active copies of the same file?

Melinda Varian,
Princeton University