ADSM-L

Re: Slow backups

1994-08-17 10:20:49
Subject: Re: Slow backups
From: David E Boyes <dboyes AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 09:20:49 -0500
> We have ADSM running on our LAN server. It is an IBM model 95. We
> are using TCP/IP for the communication on a 4Mb T/R. It is taking
> 10.5 to 12 hours to backup 1.3Gb of data. Is this normal?

If this is the first backup of this machine, it's not too out of
line. You don't say what tape device you're using, but most of
the 8mm variety won't exceed 400-500K/sec no matter how fast your
network connection is. The subsequent backups will be only
incremental (changed files), so it won't take nearly that long.

> not due. Does anyone have a similar setup? What can we do to reduce
> the amount of time it takes to backup 60,000 files that
> take up 2Gb of space?

Make sure the TCPBUFFSIZE and TCPWINSIZE settings are as large as
possible. These settings make a *big* difference in how things
work with TCP. Also, how busy is the T/R itself? Is performance
generally good, or are you seeing a lot of ring purges?