ADSM-L

Re: Clarify my note about Restores on statellites

1994-08-10 15:05:58
Subject: Re: Clarify my note about Restores on statellites
From: David E Boyes <dboyes AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 14:05:58 -0500
> > A simple solution would be to make the Unix clients consistent
> > with the other clients and code the HOSTNAME parameter in dsm.sys
> > instead of relying on what the 'hostname' command returns.
> This is addressed at the ADSM designers, isn't it? I did not find
> this HOSTNAME parameter. There is a NODENAME parameter in dsm.opt,
> but it does not help if your PASSWORDACCESS is GENERATE.

My mistake; the NODENAME parameter was what I was thinking of. If
the Unix clients allowed a NODENAME card to work like the other
clients (and since the client runs with privileges, it wouldn't
be hard to make dsm.sys readable only by a privileged user and
have the client code do the appropriate magic to make this work),
it would allow this kind of thing with absolutely minimal effort.