ADSM-L

Re: Clarify my note about Restores on statellites

1994-08-09 06:53:24
Subject: Re: Clarify my note about Restores on statellites
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 1994 12:53:24 +0200

> >   Look at the ADSM command line Set Access command or the GUI Utility
> > Set Authorization.  I think they are what you need.
>
> Not quite. That method works well enough when each user has an
> assigned workstation, but fails when there is a pool of
> workstations and the users move around a lot, such as in a lab
> situation with many (potentially thousands) of users and an
> arbitrary number of machines using a central file server. The
> idea is to run ADSM backups from where the disks are (ie, on
> the server), but allow users to restore files from any of the
> client workstations. Granting authorizations for all users and
> all workstation combinations is a n**2 problem, and is
> error-prone at best.

That is exactly our situation; sorry, if I was not clear enough.
We could live with having only few workstations where users have
to login for doing restores, but this still seems to be hard to
handle.

> A simple solution would be to make the Unix clients consistent
> with the other clients and code the HOSTNAME parameter in dsm.sys
> instead of relying on what the 'hostname' command returns.

This is addressed at the ADSM designers, isn't it? I did not find
this HOSTNAME parameter. There is a NODENAME parameter in dsm.opt,
but it does not help if your PASSWORDACCESS is GENERATE.

--
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet