ADSM-L

Re: Starting ADSM Scheduler under AIX

1994-06-20 17:15:33
Subject: Re: Starting ADSM Scheduler under AIX
From: "Stephen E. Bacher" <seb AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 1994 17:15:33 -0400
>The ADSM UNIX documentation recommends that you add the dsmc schedule
>command to /etc/rc if you want the scheduler started up at boot time.

In fact, you want to put this in /etc/rc.local, not /etc/rc.

>Does it make a difference here if I start dsmc in the background or not?

>ie, should I use 'dsmc schedule' or 'dsmc schedule &' in /etc/rc, and
>what is the reason I should do it one way or the other?

As far as I can tell, dsmc does not fork off daemons, so you'd have to
include the "&", unless you want your machine to hang processing the
/etc/rc.local file and never present a login prompt.  I think that several
misconfigurations ago, exactly this happened at my site.  :-(

Also, watch the syntax carefully:

        if [ -f /usr/adsm/dsmc ]; then
                (cd /usr/adsm; dsmc sch) &
                echo "Starting ADSM Scheduler"

Putting "&" before ";", for example, is something that the Bourne shell
just doesn't seem to understand, and is to be avoided.

 - seb