ADSM-L

[no subject]

1994-04-28 17:41:23
From: "Jacquelyn B. Reith" <jreith AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 14:41:23 PDT
  Yesterday I tried to make two posts to the list which did not make it.
They were in reference to two new info APARs.  Leonard Boyle has posted the
contents of II07777 so I will not repost that one until the file is changed.
The other, however, was in regard to II07838 to answer Leonard's question
from Tuesday about client service.  I apologize for the delay in getting
this information out to all of you.  We are working very hard to use new ways
of keeping you informed of ADSM service issues.

Here is the text of my post from yesterday:

Yesterday Leonard Boyle said:
"Well I am still confused about adsm client maintenace."

This information is now in Info APAR II07838.  I hope that it will help to
clarify some of the issues surrounding the Release 1 - Release 2
maintenance puzzle.  Please let me know if you have any further
questions and I will try to answer them.

Regards,  Jacquie Reith, ADSM Customer Support

April 27, 1994
General Information
ADSM Release 1 and Release 2 Clients
====================================
Both Release 1 and Release 2 clients will run with all
  servers, Release 1 (MVS and VM) and Release 2 (OS/2 and AIX).
There is no need to "upgrade" to Release 2 clients if there
  are no problems running the Release 1 client and the
  additional functions of the Release 2 clients are not needed
  at this time.
  - Functions included in Release 2 clients:
    - IPX/SPX and NamedPipes communications methods (will only
      work with Release 2 servers).
    - APPC communication method for the AIX client.
    - AIX Admin GUI client.
    - Support for Novell Netware 312 and 401.
    - Three new clients: SCO, DEC, and DSCS OS/2.
The next PTFs will synchronize the Release 1 and Release 2
  clients.  After that point there will be only a single version
  of each client.
The recommendation of Level 2 is to stay with the Release 1
  client until the next PTF is available unless the functions in
  the Release 2 client are required.
The synchronization PTFs are:
  - AIX           IP20153
  - DOS           IP20155
  - DEC           IP20158
  - HP-UX         IP20157
  - MAC           IP20154
  - NetWare       IP20145
  - OS/2          IP20149
  - SCO           IP20156
  - SUN (disk)    IP20146
  - SUN (tape)    IP20172
  - Windows       IP20150
To further clarify the Release 1 - Release 2 puzzle:
  - The Release 2 GA code contains all of the function of the
    Release 1 base code as well as all maintenance up to the
    point in time when the code was frozen for GA as well as
    all of the new Release 2 function.
  - The most recent Release 1 PTFs include all current
    maintenance,even some not included in the Release 2 clients.
    They will not, however, include the Release 2 function.
  - The next PTFs will contain all of the maintenance from the
    Release 1 clients, the function of the Release 2 clients,
    and additional maintenance.
  - From that time on, there will be a single client for each
    platform.
Please see info APAR II07777 for information regarding
Please see info APAR II07777 for information regarding
  the relationship between PTF numbers, APAR numbers, and
  maintenance levels.