ADSM-L

Re: Performance of Mac Clients

1994-04-19 15:48:31
Subject: Re: Performance of Mac Clients
From: Paul Zarnowski <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 15:48:31 EDT
On Tue, 19 Apr 1994 15:07:49 EDT Melinda Varian said:
>We are seeing really dreadful performance on our Mac clients,
>e.g., 2.5 KB/sec on a high-end Mac with very good network
>connectivity (vs. 25-100 KB/sec FTPing from that Mac to the
>same host).  Watching the data transfers, what we seem to be
>seeing is periodic long pauses on the Mac.  It does not seem
>to be waiting for an Ack from the host during these pauses.
>The other two Macs we've tried (different operating system
>levels but all the absolutely most current client -- just
>arrived by express this morning) are just as bad.
>
>Is this what we should be expecting?
>
>Melinda Varian,
>Princeton University

No, this isn't "proper behavior".  We saw a similar problem when we
were running WDSF/VM.  I never was able to track down and get a resolution
to our problem.  Eventually, it disappeared, I suspect because of a
network reconfiguration that we made.

We also saw the long pauses, often lasting indefinitely (hours if we let
them).

Just out of curiousity, what version of MacTCP are you running?  If you
have a more recent version, you might try upgrading to see if it has any
effect.

..Paul