ADSM-L

Re: Restricting open registration

1994-04-18 15:22:20
Subject: Re: Restricting open registration
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 15:22:20 EDT
On Thu, 14 Apr 1994 22:03:19 EDT Melinda Varian said:
>I'm just setting up ADSM.  I would prefer to allow open registration, as
>that would be more convenient for the users and less work to administer.
>However, this server will have TCP/IP access and I can see nothing that
>would prevent anyone anywhere on the Internet from using (or abusing) it
>if I allow open registration.  I hope someone can convince me that that
>isn't so.
>
>Melinda Varian,
>Princeton University

This brings to mind a more general set of questions.

Should the adsm server have a set of exits to allow sites to better
control operations? Some possiblites that come to mind are:

     - A better exit for real tape control. With VM, instead of autologing a
       virtual machine Maybe a rexx exec could be called which could do the
       work, and/or autolog a virutal machine to do the work.

     - An exit for open registration. A site could accept or reject
       the registration. Or maybe interface with a local data base to fill
       in local data.

     - An exit for cutting accounting/performance data.

     - An exit for importing events and reporting on events and exceptions.

Thanks len boyle